Managing for results
Delivering measurable results is a vital part of effective development.
‘Managing for results’ contributes to quality decisions and ensures accountability and transparency for all aid activities. This means we:
- place results and their achievement at the centre of all our aid efforts
- focus on results at every stage within a programme or activity’s lifecycle – from planning and implementation to completion and transition
- use evidence of performance and results to strengthen decision-making, make improvements, and account for the money we invest.
Our performance system draws together all the mechanisms we use to ensure we deliver the outcomes we seek from our aid investments. It's made up of policy setting, planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation. It applies to all levels of our work from individual aid projects through to the New Zealand Aid Programme as a whole.
All our activities are monitored while they're being implemented so we can see how they're tracking towards the intended outcomes. We also use evaluation to provide independent evidence of results and understand why these changes are occurring. These sources of information allow us to adjust what we are doing in order to deliver better results, and improve designs of future programmes and activities. They also help us to balance risk with innovation.
Strategic Results Framework
Our Strategic Results Framework identifies what we measure and report on to track progress against our Strategic Plan.
The framework has three levels:
- Global development results - these are results that we contribute to in partner countries, alongside the partner country itself or other donors. Results achieved can't be credited to the New Zealand Aid Programme alone.
- Direct New Zealand development results - these focus on our specific contribution to development results in partner countries, and can be directly attributed to the New Zealand Aid Programme.
- Operational performance - this is about measuring how effective and efficient the New Zealand Aid Programme is in terms of managing development support to achieve results.
Goals, Outcomes and Indicators [PDF, 455 KB]
The Detailed Indicator Set [PDF, 1.3 MB]