How to apply
Before you begin your application
- Read about Our scholarships - why New Zealand offers scholarships and what you can expect
- Read your country page and ensure your application is aligned with the priority sectors for your country
- Understand our selection preferences for scholars
- Understand what we expect from you if you win a scholarship - what you will need to do during your study and after you graduate.
- Do your research about which institution and qualification is right for you and the development needs of your country. For more information, see Where you can study and What you can study, as well as www.studyinnewzealand.com (external link).
Check how you should apply
Most applications should be completed online and this is the only option for some countries. Paper applications are accepted for some countries only.
If both online and paper applications are accepted for your country, please use only one method when applying.
All New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship applications should be completed via paper applications. Read more about how to apply for a New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship.
The online application process has four steps, all completed on an online application site (external link). The site will explain each step in more detail.
Step one: Confirm your eligibility
Complete the Online Eligibility Test. This will give you a number that you will need when you register (step three).
Step two: Create a Real Me login
This will give you a login and password that you will use through the application process.
Step three: Register with New Zealand Scholarships online
This creates your application account, and means you will be set up to complete an application.
Step four: Complete your application
This step will only become available when applications formally opens. Check application dates.
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship we encourage you to complete steps 1, 2 and 3 before applications open in February 2017.
Paper applications have three steps.
Step one: Confirm your eligibility
Before you start your application, check your eligibility against the requirements to make sure that you are eligible for a scholarship.
Step two: Decide the type of institution and qualification
If you are eligible, decide the type of institution and qualification that is right for you. For more information, please click on our Frequently Asked Questions.
For information about studying in New Zealand visit www.studyinnewzealand.com (external link).
Step three: Complete your application
Pick up an application form from the New Zealand High Commission or Embassy in your country, complete the form, and submit it to the High Commission or Embassy by the close date. Check the application closing date for your country.
If you are applying for a New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship, you must submit your completed application form to the Nominating Authority in your home country. Failure to do so will result in your application being deemed ineligible.
You may need to undertake aptitude testing before being shortlisted. You will be notified if this is required.
If you are successful in reaching the shortlist, you will be required to provide the following documentation:
- One of the following:
- Verified copy of passport
- Verified copy of birth certificate
- Verified copy of other official government issued ID
Please check our frequently asked questionsbefore making an enquiry.