Equal Rights Coalition members urgently call on Russian authorities to investigate reports of arbitrary detention, torture and killing of gay men by security services in Chechnya.
Filter map by:
- NZ Inc Strategies
Our relationship with Denmark
Our relations with Denmark are warm and friendly. As small trading nations we share common values and hold similar views on such matters as sustainable development, human rights, peacekeeping and UN reform.
Nineteenth century Danish immigrants to New Zealand founded towns such as Dannevirke and Norsewood, along with other Scandinavian settlers.
Denmark is a world leader in innovation in many fields and there are opportunities for New Zealand to engage in such areas as shipping, health and pharmaceuticals and green technologies (particularly wind and energy efficiency), which are strengths of Denmark.
Denmark is a member of the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform, a group initiated by New Zealand that works to encourage the phasing out of fossil fuel subsidies. Denmark is a partner in the Small Advanced Economies Initiative that New Zealand established, and it is also part of the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Emissions, of which New Zealand is the current Secretariat.
A Film Coproduction Agreement was signed at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2014. This gives makers of coproduced film and television access to funding and incentives in line with those available for ‘national’ programmes in each country. A Working Holiday Scheme allows young Danes and New Zealanders to live and work in each other’s countries for one year.
Total trade in goods
Exports to Denmark
Top exports: butter and dairy spreads; electrical switches, fuses, and circuit breakers; beef and lamb
Imports from Denmark
|Top imports: electric generating sets; industrial machinery for food or drink manufacture; pork|
|GDP per capita||US$60,564||(NZ GDP per capita is US$43,837)|
- New Zealand is represented in Denmark by the New Zealand Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands
- There is also a New Zealand Honorary Consulate-General in Copenhagen
- Denmark is represented in New Zealand by the Royal Embassy of Denmark in Canberra, Australia (external link)
- There is also the Royal Danish Consulate-General in Wellington, the Royal Danish Consulate-General in Auckland, and the Consulate in Christchurch
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Denmark.
Read more about how to apply (external link).
New Zealand to Denmark
- November 2012: A delegation from the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Select Committee visited Denmark to meet with parliamentarians
- March 2011: Minister of Science and Innovation Wayne Mapp visited Denmark
- December 2009: Prime Minister John Key attended international climate change negotiations in Copenhagen
- June-July 2009, December 2009: Minister of Trade and Associate Minister for Climate Change Issues Tim Groser attended international climate change negotiations in Copenhagen
Denmark to New Zealand
- February 2013: The Danish Parliamentary Defence Committee visited New Zealand
- November 2012: Minister of Defence Hans Hækkerup visited New Zealand
- November 2012: State Secretary for Foreign Policy Michael Zilmer Johns visited New Zealand for the initial meeting of the Small Advanced Economies (SAE) initiative
- June 2012: Minister for Development Cooperation Christian Friis Bach visited New Zealand
News & Events
Equal Rights Coalition asks Russia to conduct an investigation into prosecution of LGBTIs in Chechnya.
Statement as delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 8 November 2016
Delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations , 29 February 2016.