The General Election will be held on 23 September 2017. Voters who are overseas can vote from 6 September to 23 September.
Federated States of Micronesia
Filter map by:
- NZ Inc Strategies
Our relationship with Micronesia
New Zealand and Micronesia share common interests in issues affecting the Pacific region such as climate change, development, sustainable fisheries management and security. We also work with Micronesia though our membership in the Pacific Islands Forum.
Micronesia is a group of 607 small islands stretching across the Pacific to the north of Papua New Guinea, with a population of 105,000. It's an independent country in free association with the United States, and one of the North Pacific Compact States, along with the Marshall Islands and Palau.
Total trade in goods
Exports to Micronesia
Top exports: sawn or chipped wood; gas, liquid, or electricity supply meters; iron or steel stranded wire, ropes, and uninsulated cables
Imports from Micronesia
|Top imports: vegetables|
|GDP per capita||US$3,041||(NZ GDP per capita is US$43,837)|
New Zealand supports Micronesia through the North Pacific Development Fund, which is administered by the Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii. It provides funding for locally run projects up to the value of NZ$75,000 per project. The focus is on education and building resilience, with the fund investing in activities that support income and job generation, training, disaster management and community development.
For more information on the NPDF click here.
- New Zealand is represented in Micronesia by the Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii
New Zealand to Micronesia
- 2014: Ambassador Robert Kawai visited Pohnpei to present his credentials
- 2010: Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully visited Pohnpei for the Forum Economic Ministers Meeting (FEMM)
Micronesia to New Zealand
- 2013: Senator Tulensa Palik attended the Secretariat of the Pacific Community’s (SPC) Pacific Regional Rights Resource Team Consultation in Auckland
- March 2013: President Emanual Mori attended the Pacific Energy Summit in Auckland
- April 2013: Congressman David Panuelo attended the Pacific Parliamentary Forum in Wellington
- September 2011: President Emanueol Mori attended the 42nd Pacific Islands Forum in Auckland
News & Events
New Zealand statement delivered by Ambassador Gerard van Bohemen, Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 23 September 2016
Delivered by Brook Barrington, Chief Executive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.