MFAT helps New Zealand exporters by promoting increased market access and better commercial conditions for New Zealand businesses.

This includes negotiating and implementing Free Trade Agreements, representing New Zealand in the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and influencing the rules other governments apply to trade. MFAT can also give exporters practical help and advice through its network of 57 diplomatic missions in 50 countries. 

MFAT works closely with other government agencies, including New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE), Tourism, Education, Customs, Primary Industries, Immigration, Transport, IRD, Defence and Police, to support exporters.

Contact MFAT for help

To contact us, please call the MFAT Exporter Helpline 0800 824 605 or email 

Free Trade Agreements and the WTO

Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) are about ensuring trading in overseas markets is straightforward, certain and predictable, so exporting is easier and more profitable.

FTAs provide direct benefits to business by:

  • improving access to overseas markets
  • removing obstacles to trade (such as tariffs, quotas and regulatory barriers)
  • providing greater certainty and lower costs for entering new markets.

There are also indirect benefits such as greater business confidence, market awareness, and willingness to trade. The result is more business for exporters. For example in 2008 when our FTA with China came into force, merchandise exports were $2.5 billion - by 2014 goods exports had grown to $10 billion (and there were also $1.8 billion of services exports).

MFAT also influences the rules other governments apply to trade by representing New Zealand in the World Trade Organisation (WTO). On a global level, the WTO works to free up international trade.

Read about how FTAs can help your business

Read more about how we represent exporters at the WTO

Help with other trade issues

Even with robust free trade agreements in place, foreign governments may impose policies that hinder New Zealand exports getting through or unfairly penalise them. Examples might be new border biosecurity rules, illegal quotas, disputes over paperwork, taxes and compliance issues that can be costly or impossible for individual companies to tackle. If you’re facing such restrictions, MFAT can use its authority, relationships and legal frameworks, including the WTO, to try and negotiate a better outcome. 

Read about how we help settle trade disputes

Help from MFAT staff overseas

New Zealand Embassy Warsaw, Poland
New Zealand Embassy Warsaw, Poland

You’re welcome to contact MFAT staff overseas for help. Depending on your product or service, we can put you in touch with contacts that might help give you get a better understanding of the local market.

We can also help set up meetings, and sometimes we can attend meetings with you.

Both MFAT and NZTE have an extensive range of contacts offshore who can help your business. It’s important you talk to us both as we each have different business, academic, government and expatriate networks. This government support can make a real difference to your potential customers.  

If you’re planning to launch a product overseas or run a promotional event, it can be valuable to involve MFAT. An event held at an Embassy or High Commission, or supported by the Ambassador/High Commissioner, can help raise your profile and have a greater impact.

Contact overseas staff through the embassy or consulate for the country where you're doing business 

Help with issues at home

Barriers to exports are not just offshore. Sometimes there are impediments to exporting that need to be resolved within New Zealand, such as delays in certifying a product  before it can be exported. In this instance, a solution might involve creating a new standard or certification process that is recognised by foreign governments. MFAT is keen to know about these kinds of issues so we can talk to other New Zealand Government agencies to address them. 

Contact MFAT 

Exporters can contact MFAT for help by calling the MFAT Exporter Helpline
0800 824 605 or emailing 

Contact overseas staff through the embassy or consulate for the country where you're doing business